Consequence of Being Too Focused
Did the title cause you a negative or positive first feeling?
Consequence is both negative and positive. The same holds true for your level of focus. Having no focus will leave you aimless, restless, and despondent at times. Being too focused for long periods of time has its downside.
[ez_box title=”5 Minute Clarity Quote” color=”orange”]
“Most people have no idea of the giant capacity we can immediately command when we focus all of our resources on mastering a single area of our lives.” – Tony Robbins
Knowing when you need to be too focused is a critical point to leveraging your focus. We all have times in business and life that requires a push past normal in order to achieve something significant. Being clear on this will allow you to reap the rewards of focus.
When I was training for my Sandan (3rd Degree Black Belt) test, I was too focused. My sole focus was getting to the dojo 4 times per week over a 4 month span leading to the test. I had to become comfortable saying no to social events, extra work opportunities and letting a few paper stacks develop in the office.
My Focus Was Simple:
- Aikido training
- Family time
The payoff to being too focused was tremendous. I achieved a worthy goal at the culmination of 19 years of effort. The consequence of this focus was that it took me a couple of weeks to pick up the pieces of other areas of my life that I put on the back burner to simmer.
Luckily I was able to use a few specific tools such as the Ultimate Information Manager to regain control of my simmering projects with relative ease.
How about you?
POINTS TO CLARITY
1. What one opportunity or essential priority could you achieve with a short time of being too focused?
2. When do you want to achieve this by?
3. In order to achieve this and be too focused, you will need to simplify your choices. Identify key choices you will be committed to during this period of high, intense focus:
4. Is the price of achieving this essential priority worth letting a few other priorities and projects simmer?
Yes or No
· If Yes, get going now and become too focused on your end goal.
· If No, stop and use the decisions and actions area of the worksheet to evaluate your next step.
Click on the 5 Minute Clarity report above
[ez_box title=”Your Thoughts?” color=”grey”]
to open and print your copy today!
Where are you too focused right now?
Share your thoughts with us below![/ez_box]